Commercial and Industrial
For this project we provided Architectural Services for a Listed Building Planning Application for works to the redundant Harbour Approach Rail Viaduct and Swing Bridge, which involved refurbishing and preserving the structure of the Viaduct and Swing Bridge and in doing so reconnecting the former railway station and viaduct to the town.
The Viaduct and Swing Bridge were Listed as a Grade II structure in 2012 – the viaduct was designed by William Cubitt and built in 1843 by the South Eastern Railway Company. The Swing Bridge was designed in 1930 by George Ellson, Chief Engineer for Southern Railway.
Due to the age and Listed status of the structure great care was taken to ensure its heritage value was preserved and enhanced, whilst providing a functional future use.
As well as managing the planning applications, Martello also acted as Technical Architects for elements of the project, works included; significant dilapidation repairs, the installation of power and drainage, the re-organisation of the track bed, the installation of new hand rails, new surfacing and landscaping.