Commercial and Industrial
The Folkestone Harbour Customs House was built in 1859 as part of the original development of the harbour and its railway station. Largely destroyed during the Second World War, the building lay derelict for many years.
As part of the Harbour Development Programme, the Folkestone Harbour Company commissioned Martello to act as Technical Architect, Quantity Surveyor and Contract Administrator for the full refurbishment of the section of the building that remained to provide a new exhibition space, initially for the 2017 Folkestone Triennial.
The extensive restoration works included: full structural repairs to the existing building; a new flat roof; a new polished concrete floor; purpose made joinery doors and windows to match the original joinery; external re-pointing and rendering and a complete electrical and internal fit out. The floor was also lowered 1.2m to the level of the original station, and the original ceiling joists exposed and new modern lighting added.
The finished project was delivered on time, ready for the Triennial opening and provides a flexible, spacious events and exhibition venue.