Project Description

Platform Canopies

Commercial and Industrial Project

The original Folkestone Harbour station was opened in 1850 and has many stories to tell from its 170 year history.

The line was formally closed in 2014. Fenced off from the public, the station became derelict, the ironwork of the canopy rusted and the canopy eventually fell away from the structure.

As part of the station renovation, Martello were commissioned by The Folkestone Harbour Company to prepare the technical detailing and NBS Specification to be included in the overarching tender package for the project works.

The design work included the refurbishment and extension of the existing platform canopies, boundary walls and fenestrations. The existing platform canopies were restored and extended with new glazed ends, and the columns painted in heritage green.

The completed work has been transformational in bringing the station, a derelict area in the harbour, back into use as a modern, useable public space.

Client

Sector

Services

Folkestone Harbour Company

Commercial and Industrial Project

Architectural

Location

Folkestone Harbour, Folkestone